During Zero Waste Week we’ll be meeting some amazing businesses who are reducing the amount sent to landfill by taking part in the week.
Today we’re talking to MAR Services who are making a dent in the eight billion disposable carrier bags that are used in England every day. Find out how…
Who are you?
MAR Services is a facilities management company in Bracknell.
We provide cleaning, security, ground and building maintenance and waste and recycling to our clients.
Our clients are mainly offices, schools, Housing Associations and the leisure trade.
How many of you work at MAR Services?
There are 500 staff altogether, with 20 at our Head Office.
What inspired you to take part in Zero Waste Week?
Our environmental policy is very important to us as a business and everyone in the company is on board with it.
We heard about Zero Waste Week and thought it would be a great opportunity promote the cause within our own team and to our clients. We’re very passionate about reducing waste to conserve resources and will look forward to learning from everybody’s tips!
What is your Zero Waste Week pledge?
We pledge to install a carrier bag re-use point at our Head Office. Staff can re-use carrier bags for their lunch again and again until they’re holey, then we will recycle them! 🙂
What is the motivation for your pledge?
It’s a pledge that is simple for everyone to get involved, it’s easy to implement and it helps raise awareness.
What are some of the things you do on a day-to-day basis to reduce landfill waste?
- We have a zero waste to landfill policy
- We recycle paper (including paper hand towels), card, plastic bottles and batteries
- In addition to our own battery recycling, we offer battery receptacles to all our clients, which are picked up regularly and recycled with ours
- We have a ‘1 mug per day’ policy! Staff use a branded mug from our kitchen, refill it during the day then return it to the dishwasher
- In our cleaning services we use microfibre cloths instead of disposable ones – these are collected from the sites and washed when we have a full load
What one tip would you give to other businesses that are inspired to reduce their landfill waste but don’t know where to start?
Start small and work your way up to the big goals! Even very small changes can make a big difference and once you get your staff motivated, you can keep setting your goals higher and higher.