Little did I realise when I shared a photo on Facebook of my dinner on Tuesday night, the picture would be ‘liked’ over 200 times and the comments would come in thick and fast!
Many people asked ‘What is the recipe?’
So here it is!
The recipe I found was on All Recipes. The original recipe contains lard, but you can easily make these vegan by using your favourite cooking oil and adjusting the amount of water you use. Or you could substitute lard for shortening.
I found these quite dry and brittle, but my family didn’t care because they love popadoms and crisps as much as tortillas! We just about managed to wrap them, without them breaking, to make fajitas.
On further investigating, it seems you need to add more fat to get a chewier, softer wrap.
I’ll share the recipe as is and leave you to experiment.
Home made tortillas recipe
Ingredients (makes 24 tortillas)
- 4 cups flour (I used organic white)
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 1/2 cups water (I used warm; the recipe didn’t state a temperature)
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl
- Rub in the lard with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the water and mix until the dough comes together
- Place on a floured surface (mine was sticky and needed a lot of flour) and knead until smooth and elastic
- Divide into 24 balls
- Preheat a frying pan over a moderate heat (don’t put any oil in there, heat it dry)
- Roll out one dough ball (again, use lots of flour on the rolling pin and surface) into a thin, round (ahem, well, whatever shape you can!) tortilla
- Place the tortilla in the frying pan until it starts to bubble on the top. Flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side (they take a couple of minutes per side) then remove and put on a plate
- Continue with the rest of the dough
- Fill with your favourite fillings, wrap and enjoy!
If you’ve made tortilla wraps I’d love to compare recipes; please share in the comments below!