One of the most frequent topics I’m asked about is composting food waste; in particular cooked food.
In an ideal world, we wouldn’t waste any food. But the truth is, many of us do.
I’m fortunate that we have food waste collections and I have room to compost, but neither are without their problems.
To be honest, I’ve fallen out of love with the food waste collections. I remember last summer walking up the road on collection day and seeing people’s food waste caddies heaving with maggots. It kinda put me off. Plus we live in a rural area, so it’s not uncommon for food waste to be sniffed out by four legged critters.
I love to compost but the bottom 10 feet of my garden (where the compost area is) is frequently under water in the winter months.
Smart Cara – a revolutionary kitchen composting system
So I’m super excited to tell you about the Smart Cara – a revolutionary home composting system.
It sits on your work surface, you feed it your food waste (including cooked foods, fish, meat and even small bones), and when the basket is full you turn it on to work its magic. During the processing cycle, it appears the Smart Cara works like a cross between a dehydrator and powerful blender.
In around 4 HOURS, yes, you read that right, you end up with a fertiliser to use in your garden, containers or house plants. Lab testing has confirmed that the resulting contents make a nutrient rich soil enhancer.
What’s not to love?
Apparently the Smart Cara is quiet to run, odourless and economical. And while no product is right for everybody, I can see it providing a solution for many people. Here are a few off the top of my head:
- For people with limited mobility to attend a compost heap, this system is easy to manage.
- For those living in hot countries where food waste starts to rot before being collected, imagine storing a dry material until food waste collection day! This puts an end to the misery of stinky food waste caddies, flies, wasps and vermin.
- For people living in areas where food waste is banned from landfill the Smart Cara diverts food away from landfill and creates a beneficial by-product.
- For those who have to pay by the amount of food waste they generate, this system reduces waste by around 90%.
- For people living in spaces without a garden, the Smart Cara gives you a way to create fertiliser which you can then offer to friends with gardens. Or maybe you could sell it at a local fayre and make some money!
- You can even get creative with the Smart Cara – imagine drying lemon, lime and orange peels and using as pot pourri around the home? Or dry your Halloween pumpkin scraps – peel, seeds and all to make pumpkin tea! It brings a whole new meaning to a zero waste Halloween!
All in all, this sounds like a fantastic solution. Yes, I’ve seen some serious greenwashing in my time of living a sustainable lifestyle. But sometimes a product comes along that really makes you sit up and take notice – for me, the Smart Cara has definitely got my attention. I’m going to put it through its paces over the coming weeks and let you know how I get on!